As you know, the goal of this blog is self-education in public. I am trying to learn about memoir by reading and reviewing great examples of the genre, books about the genre, and offering some mini-memoir on the way. When readers search for good memoir reading lists, I want them to find this blog. What better way to create that list than to construct it from the best memoir writers themselves! Here are the ones Mary Karr mentioned as her own models for memoir when she talked with Barbara DeMarco-Barrett on a podcast I highly recommend.
I created a simple list first out of the books Mary Karr mentioned in the podcast. Then below the list you will find direct links to Amazon.com so that you can explore reviews or order them just by clicking. Sorry that the layout is a little confusing–still learning how to insert images correctly!
- Maxine Hong Kingston, The Woman Warrior
- Richard Wright, Black Boy
- Hilary Mantel, Giving Up the Ghost
- Robert Graves, Goodbye to All That
- Malcolm X, The Autobiography of Malcolm X
- John Howard Griffin, Black Like Me
- Tobias Wolff, This Boy’s Life
- Michael Herr, Dispatches
- Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Frederick Exley, A Fan’s Notes